Sunday 14 October 2007

Journos vs the All Blacks


'Rugby is a good occasion for keeping thirty bullies far from the center of the city' said Oscar Wilde'.

And that number doesn't count the journalists. Surely it must break some rule of grammar to include the word arrogant so many times in an article. And is it technically possible for a kick to be arrogant? ("I'll go into touch if and when I feel like it" sneered the overinflated rugby ball at the No. 10). This week British journalists from the Independent, Telegraph, Times, have been falling over themselves to gloat at the All Blacks' exit from the World Cup, all of which was 'just desserts' for a team that had been winning consistently, and playing open, running rugby. And now England are through to the final, Short Memory Syndrome will spread amongst all sports journalists, as they herald the greatest and most modest team ever to pick up the oval ball.

Thank God then, that I'm not interested in rugby. No really. I don't understand the rules - I wouldn't know a forward pass if I saw one, or an obstruction from a head high tackle. I don't think I'm alone.

Still, I'll be grateful to be in Madrid next weekend, particularly if the final shapes up to be South Africa vs England. In my Hierarchy-of-Teams-To-Support this would be a competition between the bottom two sides to take a rugby field. Who to cheer for? Let's hope Real Madrid are playing at home...

No comments: